A recap of the 2019 Oscars: The Best and Most Historic Moments
We saw a lot of not only awesome, but diverse moments. Don’t worry, unlike last year, the 2019 Best Picture is not about a lady who falls in love with a fish. Green Book went home with Best Picture, Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse Best Animated Feature, Lady Gaga’s Shallows Best Original Song, Alfonso Cuarón won best director and best cinematography for Roma, Rami Malek won Best Actor for Bohemian Rhapsody and Olivia Coleman Best Actress for The Favourite. Queen rocked the Oscars stage and the crowd, Spike Lee won his first ever Oscar after 30 years for Blackkklansman, Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper took the stage for a heartwarming performance of Shallows and Black magic took over the stage at the 91st Academy Awards.
And those are just a few of the best moments at this year’s Academy Awards.
History was made multiple times at the 91st Academy Awards.
- Mahershala Ali became the first Black man to win two Best Supporting Actor Oscars
- Ruth E. Carter is the first Black woman to win an Oscar for costume design
- Hannah Beachler is the first Black woman to win for Best Production Design. Both for Black Panther.
- Cicely Tyson is the first woman of color to receive the Honorary Academy Award.
- Peter Ramsey is the first African-American to win for Best Animated Feature.
- Alfonso Cuarón is the first person to win both Best Cinematography and Best Director for his own film.
- Roma winning the Oscar for best foreign language film marked Mexico’s first Academy Award in the category.
- Domee Shi first is the first woman to win an Oscar for animated short film.
- Black Panther became the first Marvel film to win an Oscar
- Rami Malek became the first Egyptian-American to win an Oscar for Best Actor
Even without a host, even after upsetting filmmakers and actors, The Academy still managed to pull off a great show.